Ameriques Asie Europe Moyen-Orient Internet Nations unies
Somalia5 September 2005

Threats against Reporters Without Borders partner organisation in Mogadishu

Reporters Without Borders today voiced "great concern" about threats in recent weeks by gunmen against its partner organisation in Somalia, the National Union of Somali Journalists (NUSOJ), just before and after its annual general assembly in Mogadishu on 29-31 August. NUSOJ called itself SOJON until recently.

"It is getting more and more difficult for Somali journalists to work," the press freedom organisation said. "Pushed around by warlords, Islamic courts and businessmen, they chose to defend themselves by setting up an exemplary, democratically-run organisation, and this is now being targeted."

Reporters Without Borders added: "We appeal to the transitional federal government and its international partners to use their influence to get these threats stopped as soon as possible. This episode highlights the urgent need to re-establish the rule of law in Mogadishu, in order to protect the small pockets of democracy that Somalis have managed to create for themselves amid the anarchy."

Anonymous death threats were received several times by members of the NUSOJ leadership during the week of 22-28 August. Secretary-general Omar Faruk Osman and council chairman Mohamed Barre Haji received anonymous calls on NUSOJ lines or their mobile phones warning that they would be killed "immediately" or "in 48 hours."

During the 10 days prior to the general assembly, a Toyota pickup with a dozen heavily-armed men aboard regularly passed in front of the NUSOJ office, in the Waberi district. On 1 September, there was a stand-off between them and Mohamed Barre Haji’s bodyguards. The pickup, which was equipped with an anti-aircraft gun, finally withdrew and no shots were fired.

The next day, four hooded militiamen with AK-47 assault rifles in a saloon car forced their way into the home of one of the members of the NUSOJ executive committee, Ali Moallim Isak, who was not there at the time. The militiamen finally left after waiting for six hours, without ever giving any explanation.

"We don’t know who these militiamen are or what they want," Omar Faruk Osman told Reporters Without Borders. "The only law that is respected in this country is the law of the gun. As a result, we have stepped up our protective measures. We will not let these acts of intimidation prevent us from working."

Mohamed "Siidi" Abdulle Hassan, the local correspondent of the Swedish-based news website, was meanwhile briefly kidnapped yesterday by the militia of Yusuf Ali, the self-proclaimed governor of the central region of Hiiraan, for failing to report a press conference he gave in Mogadishu. Yusuf Ali put a pistol to his head and ordered him to tell his editor that he would be killed if a report was not published. Siidi was released after NUSOJ interceded with Yusuf Ali, who nonetheless confiscated Siidi’s equipment and material.

In this country
3 June - Somalia
Alarm at TV station director’s abduction near Mogadishu
26 May - Somalia
Radio reporter shot by militia dies of injuries, fourth journalist to be killed this year
22 May - Somalia
Journalist killed in fighting between government forces and islamist militants
29 April - Somalia
Independent news agency launched in Djibouti aims to be reliable source of news about Somalia
27 April - Somalia
Islamist militia closes radio station, arrests three journalists

in the annual report
Somalia - Annual Report 2008
Somalia - Annual Report
Somalia - Annual report 206

Africa press releases
27 May - Gabon
Government imposes news blackout on President Bongo’s health
22 May - Madagascar
Radio Mada reporter freed after two weeks in detention
22 May - Sierra Leone
Newspaper publisher is victim of judicial extortion

africa archives

18 March 2009 - Democratic Republic of Congo
“Bukavu, murder city”: investigation report into murders of journalists in the capital of Sud-Kivu
21 May 2008 - Eritrea
Naizghi Kiflu, the dictatorship’s eminence grise
6 March 2008 - Kenya
"How far to go ?" Kenya’s media caught in the turmoil of a failed election

Sign the petitions
Sign the petition for the release of ten Eritrean journalists