Ameriques Asie Europe Moyen-Orient Internet Nations unies
Somalia5 March 2007

Heavy prison sentences for four journalists working for Somaliland daily

Reporters Without Borders condemned the heavy prison sentences passed yesterday by the regional court of Hargeisa, the capital of the northern breakaway state of Somaliland, on the publisher of the privately-owned daily Haatuf and three of its journalists for allegedly defaming the government, the president and his family.

“The Haatuf case has been marked throughout by procedural irregularities and the use by the government of disproportionate resources to attack a newspaper, and has concluded with sentences that are more than extreme, ones that have sullied the history of press freedom in Somaliland,” Reporters Without Borders said.

“The president must now keep his promise and quickly obtain the release of the imprisoned journalists and a return to normal publication by Haatuf,” the organisation added.

At yesterday’s hearing, held exceptionally inside a police training centre in Mandera (60 km northeast of Hargeisa), the court sentenced Haatuf publisher Yusuf Abdi Gabobe to two years in prison for "obstruction".

The newspaper’s editor, Ali Abdi Dini, and its correspondent in the northwestern Awdal region, Mohamed Omar Sheikh Ibrahim, were sentenced to two years and five months in prison, as was a fourth journalist, Ibrahim Mohamed Rashid Farah, who was tried in absentia, for “reporting false information about the government, discrediting the president and his family and creating inter-communal tension.” The court also suspended Haatuf’s licence.

After meeting with the Somaliland Journalists Association (SOLJA), Somaliland President Dahir Riyale Kahin said on 21 February that he was ready to pardon Haatuf’s journalists if they were convicted. Despite the court order suspending its licence, Haatuf appeared as usual today.

Gabobe and Dini were arrested during a police raid on the newspaper on 2 January. Initially held at Hargeisa police headquarters, they were transferred at the start of February to Mandera prison. Sheik was arrested at his home on 14 January, taken to Hargeisa and then also transferred to Mandera prison.

The prosecution was brought over a series of articles in November and in January about alleged favouritism in government appointments and the use of official vehicles for personal purposes. The four journalists were convicted under Somalia’s 1962 criminal code although its media laws were rendered obsolete by the adoption of new legislation in 2004. However, the court refused to try the journalists on the basis of the latest legislation.

In this country
3 June - Somalia
Alarm at TV station director’s abduction near Mogadishu
26 May - Somalia
Radio reporter shot by militia dies of injuries, fourth journalist to be killed this year
22 May - Somalia
Journalist killed in fighting between government forces and islamist militants
29 April - Somalia
Independent news agency launched in Djibouti aims to be reliable source of news about Somalia
27 April - Somalia
Islamist militia closes radio station, arrests three journalists

in the annual report
Somalia - Annual Report 2008
Somalia - Annual Report
Somalia - Annual report 206

Africa press releases
27 May - Gabon
Government imposes news blackout on President Bongo’s health
22 May - Madagascar
Radio Mada reporter freed after two weeks in detention
22 May - Sierra Leone
Newspaper publisher is victim of judicial extortion

africa archives

18 March 2009 - Democratic Republic of Congo
“Bukavu, murder city”: investigation report into murders of journalists in the capital of Sud-Kivu
21 May 2008 - Eritrea
Naizghi Kiflu, the dictatorship’s eminence grise
6 March 2008 - Kenya
"How far to go ?" Kenya’s media caught in the turmoil of a failed election

Sign the petitions
Sign the petition for the release of ten Eritrean journalists