Ameriques Asie Europe Moyen-Orient Internet Nations unies
Kenya19 April 2007

Government orders state sector to withdraw advertising from Standard Group media

Reporters Without Borders today condemned a government decision to withhold state advertising from the Standard Group media, which include The Standard daily newspaper and Kenya Television Network (KTN).

“The culmination of a war of words in which the police and courts have at times been enlisted, this decision is absurd and dangerous,” the press freedom organisation said. “A state advertising boycott is not just a low blow, it is also unacceptable inasmuch as public funds should not be used for political or personal advantage. This boycott is just aggravating the climate of tension between the government and the Standard Group and will fuel mistrust.”

Several Kenyan and foreign media reported that the public services ministry circulated an e-mail message at the start of this month instructing public sector groups to cancel any advertising they were placing with The Standard or KTN, or to redirect it to other media that were more favourable to government policy.

The move came after a year of tension between President Mwai Kibaki’s government and the Standard Group. After the e-mail message’s content was revealed, the security minister said The Standard had “declared a war” against him.

The Standard recently published a report claiming that a government minister had approached Armenian organised crime members with a view to having former President Daniel arap Moi’s son murdered. After the article appeared, managing director Chaacha Mwita, Standard Group deputy chairman Paul Melly, operations director Paul Wanyagah and editorial director Kwendo Opanga were interrogated for seven hours on 17 April without being able to consult with their lawyers.

Just over a year ago, the police carried out simultaneous raids on the headquarters of KTN and The Standard’s printers in Nairobi’s industrial area at around 1 a.m. on 2 March 2006. Armed with Kalashnikov assault rifles, the police attacked guards at KTN and damaged equipment, causing a panic in the studios and forcing the station to suspend broadcasting until the afternoon of the next day. The police also seized the copies of that day’s issue of The Standard and burned them.

In this country
2 February - Kenya
Freelance journalist murdered in southwest
2 January - Kenya
President deals major blow to press freedom
4 December - Kenya
Parliament close to adopting draconian media bill
10 October - Kenya
Ex-journalist finally freed on bail
17 March - Kenya
Journalists mistreated by soldiers operating against militia in Mount Elgon region

in the annual report
Kenya - Annual Report 2007
Kenya - Annual report 2006

Africa press releases
3 June - Somalia
Alarm at TV station director’s abduction near Mogadishu
27 May - Gabon
Government imposes news blackout on President Bongo’s health
26 May - Somalia
Radio reporter shot by militia dies of injuries, fourth journalist to be killed this year

africa archives

18 March 2009 - Democratic Republic of Congo
“Bukavu, murder city”: investigation report into murders of journalists in the capital of Sud-Kivu
21 May 2008 - Eritrea
Naizghi Kiflu, the dictatorship’s eminence grise
6 March 2008 - Kenya
"How far to go ?" Kenya’s media caught in the turmoil of a failed election

Sign the petitions
Sign the petition for the release of ten Eritrean journalists