Ameriques Asie Europe Moyen-Orient Internet Nations unies
Gambia9 June 2008

Regional court orders Gambia to release journalist missing since arrest in July 2006

Reporters Without Borders welcomes a regional court ruling ordering Gambia to release Chief Ebrima Manneh, a reporter who was arrested by the National Intelligence Agency on 7 July 2006 and has been missing ever since. The ruling, issued on 5 June by the Community Court of Justice of the Economic Community Of West African States (ECOWAS), is the first of its kind concerning a journalist.

The press freedom organisation is outraged by the way the Gambian authorities have behaved in this case, above all their refusal to cooperate with the court and the probability that they will take no action in response to its historic ruling.

“This decision is a victory for those who have been fighting for years against the impunity with which the Gambia authorities have repeatedly violated human rights,” Reporters Without Borders said. “But we fear for the life of Manneh, one of the victims of a brutal and intolerant regime, and we fear that this victory for the rule of law could be quickly marred by President Yahya Jammeh’s contempt for justice and by the awful reality of what may have happened.”

In its ruling, issued in response to a petition by the Media Foundation for West Africa, a regional organisation based in the Ghanian capital of Accra, the Abuja-based court also ordered the government to pay 100,000 dollars (63,000 euros) in damages.

The opposition tri-weekly Foroyaa reported in January 2007 that Manneh was being held in a police station in Fatoto, a small town 400 km east of the capital. A witness who was inside Mile Two prison told Reporters Without Borders that Manneh was transferred from there to a Banjul hospital in very poor condition in July 2007. He has not been seen since and according to this witness, whose account is credible, he died in detention.

Manneh, who worked for the privately-owned, pro-government Daily Observer newspaper, was arrested by NIA agents in his office five days after the end of an African Union summit that was held in the Gambian capital Banjul on 1-2 July 2006. The reasons for his arrest were unknown, but several journalists working for the independent press were arrested around the time for allegedly trying to disrupt the summit.

Founded in 1991 and consisting of seven independent judges, the ECOWAS court has since 2005 been empowered to hear complaints from any citizen of a member state about alleged violations of the community’s agreements, decisions, treaties or conventions.

In this country
24 April - Gambia
Regional group asked to intercede on behalf of missing journalist
12 March - Gambia
Adjournment of trials facing editor of the daily The Point
5 February - Gambia
The Point editor faces trial on “false information” charge for reporting diplomat’s arrest
15 December - Gambia
Journalists still live in fear four years after unpunished murder of Deyda Hydara
18 August - Gambia
Freelance journalist gets four years in prison or heavy fine for criticising president

in the annual report
Gambia - Annual Report 2008
Gambia - Annual Report 2007
Gambia - Annual report 2006

Africa press releases
3 June - Somalia
Alarm at TV station director’s abduction near Mogadishu
27 May - Gabon
Government imposes news blackout on President Bongo’s health
26 May - Somalia
Radio reporter shot by militia dies of injuries, fourth journalist to be killed this year

africa archives

18 March 2009 - Democratic Republic of Congo
“Bukavu, murder city”: investigation report into murders of journalists in the capital of Sud-Kivu
21 May 2008 - Eritrea
Naizghi Kiflu, the dictatorship’s eminence grise
6 March 2008 - Kenya
"How far to go ?" Kenya’s media caught in the turmoil of a failed election

Sign the petitions
Sign the petition for the release of ten Eritrean journalists